I went over to the Walberg’s and did some measuring of a porch roof that needs to be redone. It is a super cool porch, with a tongue and groove ceiling and skylights, but has an ancient tar and gravel roof that leaks. And I happen to know how to adhere rubber roofing, so it is a perfect fit.
I put a huge, well maybe not huge compared to warehouses and giant manufacturing plants, but huge for a few bike racers learning how to roof as we go, rubber roof on. This roof was on a building my grandmother bought back in the early 50’s. It had continually leaked and should have been replaced a decade earlier.
This was 7 years ago. I probably wouldn’t have started the project without Michael Fatka just showing up in Topeka ready to work. He ended up staying there for over a month, helping out immensely.
It took me nearly 60 days straight of 16-20 hours days to complete. I am still amazed that I didn’t really run out of steam with so little sleep. I owe that to bike racing. I saved somewhere are 80K I figure. I spent $16000 and half of that was on insulation.
I only rode 3 miles in two months. The longest I’d ever taken off the bike since I was in high school. And it worked out fine. I felt better that February than I had in years. Weird.
Anyway, it was the biggest single project that I’ve continuously done. Normally a whole roofing crew would have been involved. Roofs usually need to be replaced in a hasty fashion. We got pretty lucky with the weather.
The Walberg’s roof is much smaller. I learned a ton, so it should go way quicker. Micheal still needs a new roof too. I patched that one together last fall and it has been problematic, so it needs to be completely ripped off and replaced. I didn’t realize how many flat roofs were out there.
There is a certain comradery working together in manual labor brings. I didn’t realize it so much until after this project. It is sort of like a bike racing team. Pretty rewarding. Okay, here are some pictures of the project. I had just started writing web posts and had Google ads back then. All the ads changed from bike related subjects to roofing advertisements. That was the sign I needed to finish up the job.