Home recovering

This entry was posted in Important Life Stories, Just Life on by .

No Visiting, Calling, Texting, Emailing, Trudi or Steve PLEASE!

It’s still me, Vincent, I am not wanting to start a new post every day but Steve is  home now and it seems like a good time to start a new post. I’ll probably update this post for a few days before I or hopefully Steve starts a new post.
Please respect the difficult time Steve and Trudi are going through, please feel free to contact me directly. 720-301-3003. If you are not sure what this is all about start here.

No Visiting, Calling, Texting, Emailing, Trudi or Steve PLEASE! (updated Oct 20): Steve’s brain needs rest. Trudi is focused on helping Steve. If you are local or in some other way are thinking about visiting or contacting (calling, emailing) Steve or Trudi, please do not!  Feel free to continue to leave comments. It is super important that he gets mental rest. Frontal TBI causes interesting and unpredictable personality issues. I will update when this changes. Expect this to be in effect until Oct 27 even after he returns home.

Tuesday afternoon: Steve is home.

Wednesday Summary: Steve still seems cognitively great, i.e., same intellect, asking about politics, biking, etc. He seemed emotionally the same. He is extremely tired.  Feels like he hasn’t slept in days which is probably true. It has been hard for him to get comfortable. Feeling new aches from the crash. His lower back is now sore. He has a pretty deep round wound there. He neck is sore but that is not really new. Right ear feels clogged but it is damaged, he has a crack in his skull behind his ear. if it continues we should see an ENT doc. He also complained of significant head pain.  He is still processing the amount of time it will take to recover and the amount of time that has passed. Eating a bit more and no more vomiting. Have the pill rotation going. That said, he seems accepting of it. Doesn’t feel like working on anything other than getting better. A good sign.

Thursday morning: Steve’s head pain got too bad is very bad! Getting that looked at.

Thursday midday: No Visiting, Calling, Texting, Emailing, Trudi or Steve PLEASE! Steve’s headache was bad enough to get another CAT scan which looked great. He has some new pain meds now and has an appointment to see the ENT later today about the ear.

Friday: Not much to report, It will be a week since the injury and overall progress has been great. New photo of Tucker below.

Recovery: If you are wondering what recovery from this type of injury might entail, this LINK explains it, although to me it says nothing useful while at the same time reading like a side effect warning for head injuries.

Support: Many of you have reached out asking how you can help out. Friendship, prayers, letters, posts in the comments…. All of these things are great. Trudi will be busy taking care of Steve, there will be opportunities to help but we need to let Trudi worry about Steve and their very close friends will help coordinate other help that may be needed. If you have something specific you would like to do, you can contact me, directly helptilford@vincentdavis.net or 720-301-3003. Many have also offered financial assistance. At this time this is greatly appreciated and humbling, but not necessary. If there comes a time it is necessary, we ensure everyone has an opportunity to help.

Watching Cubs game

Watching Cubs game

Tucker helping out.

Tucker helping out.

35 thoughts on “Home recovering

1. Pingback: In Hospital | Steve Tilford

2. Mike Rodose

Hard to know he’s in that much pain, but it’s great to know how much attention and treatment he’s getting.

Best thoughts to Trudi, you, Bill and Steve. Thank you so much for any updates Vincent.

3. Tom Purvis

Regarding the amount of time that has passed, I remember how creepy it felt to me that there was a huge hole in my memory from an accident I had 20 years ago. I hurt all over, had stitches in my head, huge road rash down my left side. And I desperately wanted to know what happened to cause me crash. What mistake had I made? Still haunts me when I think about it, but you’ll get past it. Keep resting. Let your brain do as little as possible.

4. Paul G

Vincent, Thanks for continuing to keep us updated on Steve’s condition. Continuing to keep Steve, Bill and Trudi in my thoughts…

5. Clifford

Thanks Vincent. I’m thinking about Steve often – actually both of the Tilfords – and appreciate the updates.

6. Here we go again

Vincent, thanks for the updates and for all you’re doing to help out.
    We should all have good friends like you are to Steve.

7. Nan Deardorff-McClain

Thanks for the encouraging update, Vincent. Steve, I wish I lived closer so I could make a housecall and bring you homemade soup. Just know you are in my thoughts daily and keep up that fighting attitude of yours . Rest up, taking the time your body needs to recover. Sending good thoughts from the Netherlands.

8. Fausto

Thank you Vincent for keeping his extended friends in the loop. The good side of the internet. So glad to see that in a very difficult situation the worst seems to be over now. Thoughts and prayers every day for Steve and the family and the support crew.

9. Luke P.

Vincent, Steve – I realize you’re probably getting flooded with advice, etc., but if you have a moment, I’d like to relay mine: When I was 15 (over 30 years ago) I was hit on the head by a small golf-ball-sized rock while walking across my school campus. There was NO externally visible injury, but I suffered internal bleeding and ended up in the ICU for 6 weeks. I lost all short term memory (although things would filter into long term memory after 10 minutes or so)…and my left arm was paralyzed for 6 months.

My initial post-ICU recovery was 3 months. My memory slowly returned and my left arm started functioning “normally” at 6 months. For at least the next year, I was sleeping upwards of 16 hours a day. My doctor insisted that I do basically nothing except non-jarring physical therapy and that I *never* put physical pressure on my brain from holding my breath or straining against weights or even vigorous swimming.

I recovered “fully” – to about 98% after 2 years. But, to this day, I still have slight issues with my left hand and my memory if I get really cold to my core. My doctors all credit the level of recovery to the fact that I absolutely *strictly* followed their advice about straining for the initial period of time. I’ve shown my MRIs to a few neurologists in the years since the injury and they are all amazed at how close I came to death and how well I’ve recovered.

Fortunately, after those two years, I went on to a race at the Cat 1 level (Redlands, Cascade Classic, Mammoth, Tour of Willamette, Olympic Trials, etc.) and I am pretty sure I raced with Steve somewhere during the early-90’s. Recovery is possible, but don’t rush it.

PLEASE, PLEASE. PLEASE follow your doctor’s orders and do NOT push recovery with a brain injury. Sometimes the best recovery you can do is to sleep and rest and make that your full time job.

10. Jan

Thanks for the updates, Vincent. We blog readers appreciate hearing.

Wishing Steve and Bill the best recoveries, and Trudi and other friends support in their efforts to help the healing.

11. Devin

Please continue to take good care of Steve.. Saw him not to long ago watching a Crit in Stillwater MN.

Had not seen or talked to him since right before my crash on my head in the Fat Tire 40…. Tell him please to rest rest and rest..

It is a long road but sounds like he is in good hands..

12. Jeffery Butterfield

We have never met Steve, but I have a sneaking suspicion that in an earlier life you were some kind of warrior–perhaps not in a smash-in-the-head-of-the-enemy sense, but simply as one tough motherfucker that just can’t be kept down. I won’t be surprised at all when I read you’re over this setback.

Here’s a tip of the hat to all of the great care and support you are receiving from a great medical staff, a good woman, good friends and a good dog.

13. Cindy

Vincent, you are a rock star. Thank you for your updates. I know Steve and Bill are in the best of hands with such loving support from family and friends.

14. Jay

One thing bothers me. This accident was the result of someone not properly securing their dog. That is (or should be) the responsibility of the owner.

I believe Steve should have some legal recourse against this individual. I hope that the owner wasn’t allowed to slip away from the scene without providing personal information.

1. steve

i was in a group ride about 10 years ago and we were ripping along probably close to 25 and about i was bout the third rider from the front. a weimaraner suddenly appeared from the right side of the road, where he had been concealed by trees/bushes, running at full speed. the lead rider had just enough time to maybe think oh, of the oh shit phrase, when he t-boned the weimaraner. the guy just in front of me hit the front guy rolling on the ground. i grabbed so much front break that i endoed onto or over the second guy. other guys went down too. front guy lost teeth. second guy broke his pelvis. i ended up with maybe a dime size scrape. others had some nasty gashes. the dog belonged to the home from which it ran. I happended to bump into an insurance investigator for the homeowner’s insurance at the bike shop which sponsored the ride when i went in to get my new rear wheel for the one that was destroyed on the ride. he asked me a few questions but didn’t really want my story or assist in paying for my bike damages. i hope the dudes seriously injured got their injuries paid for.

15. Lynn

Thank you for the continued updates. Thinking of Steve and Bill and hoping their pain and discomfort subsides soon. Also sending well wishes to Kris, Trudi, Bill’s family and close friends.

16. Jeff Hall

Sad to hear about the accident but happy you are home and recovering. My family is thinking about you and sending our best.

17. numbnuts

Get well soon, miss reading the blog, but hopefully you’ll be up in no time with a good recovery! rest well to be well…

1. Emacdo

So like if a car runs into you you shouldn’t take an ambulance to the hospital?
        If you get food poisoning you shouldn’t eat food?

Not sure what your point is.

2. Emacdo

Meant to add, the healing properties of proximity to animals is well documented, especially for trauma victims, including PTSD, accidents, falls among the elder (I’m the same age as Steve so can say that), etc.

Having an animal that’s so dedicated to you and requires nothing more than the moments he can sit with you is indeed therapeutic. You’ve heard of service animals, of course?